Monday, January 23, 2012

Whitewashing Brick

It feels so good to check projects off the list. I did a previous post on the brick wall in my living space that doesn't really fit into the cottage vibe I'm going for in my house. I posted on it before to get opinions on if i should paint it or not. 
Take a look at the before.

 One of the sweet girls that commented gave me the idea of not 'painting' the brick but 'whitewashing' it instead. So after researching that, i decided to give it a whirl.
What do you think?




I couldn't be more happy with the final result. Here is how I did it.
I cleaned the brick wall really good with TSP. 
Mixed 2 parts white latex paint with 1 part water. 
Using my purdy brush, I concentrated on small sections, about 10 bricks at a time.
After dipping brush in the paint, I would wipe most of it off. 
Brushed light coats over the sections. (you can always add more so start light).
Then took a wet rag and sponged the area lightly to get the final effect. 

1 comment:

  1. That looks really good for your cottage vibe...it looks aged and "soft." You can also whitewash more if you want it lighter, but this is a good change!

    ReplyDelete